Our History
/ About / Our History

SS Peter & Paul church history dates back to the early part of the 20th century when our earliest parishioners immigrated from the Carpathian Mountain region of Eastern Europe.

In 1925, these dedicated Byzantine Catholics incorporated the St Peter and Paul Greek Catholic Ruthenian Church of New Brunswick, New Jersey. This first church was located on Somerset St, New Brunswick

From 1926 until 1959, Ss Peter and Paul was a mission parish administered by numerous priests, until Reverend Nicholas Puhak was assigned as its resident pastor.

In 1964, the parish purchased 11 acres of land on the corner of Hawthorne Drive and Hamilton Street in Somerset NJ on which to build the new church to accommodate the growing parish. It is the current location of SS Peter & Paul.

On October 26, 1969, then Bishop Michael Dudick solemnly blessed the completed new Ss Peter and Paul Byzantine Catholic Church and indoor hall.

The parish celebrated its Golden Jubilee anniversary on November 23, 1975.

Reverend Mykhaylo Kravchuk is the current parish administrator, appointed June 2018.

May God grant many more anniversaries! With Him, all things are possible.

SS Peter & Paul Byzantine Catholic Church
285 Hamilton St; Somerset, NJ 08873
732-545-5500


  • Sun
    23Jun

    5th Sunday after Pentecost
    10:30 am -  Divine Liturgy
    Celebrated at SS Peter & Paul
  • Sun
    30Jun

    6th Sunday after Pentecost
    10:30 am - Divine Liturgy
    Celebrated at SS Peter & Paul
    Also LIVE Streaming on Facebook
  • Sun
    7Jul

    7th Sunday after Pentecost
    10:30 am -  Divine Liturgy
    Celebrated at St Joseph

SS Peter and Paul Byzantine Catholic Church
285 Hamilton St; Somerset, NJ 08873
Contact